Wednesday, February 2, 2011

MilSpouse Friday Fill-In #26, #27 & #28

Catching up on 3 weeks of Friday Fill-Ins:

Friday Fill-In #26:

1. What are you looking forward to most in 2011? from Jessica Lynn Writes

This is a hard question because if anything, there's a lot that I'm NOT looking forward to in 2011. We'll be leaving Whidbey in July, and heading back to Corpus Christi (a place I despise - more on that later), so I have been finding myself hoping that the rest of our time here goes very, very slowly. Also, Mr. V will be going on another deployment right before we move, which means that finding a house to live in, and packing this house up, falls onto my shoulders. We always do DITY moves so I am NOT looking forward to packing up an entire house by myself. The good news is that he won't complete the deployment. He'll be sent back about halfway through to detatch from the squadron here and then move. The bad news is that that won't be enough time to help me pack. So since the answer to this question is supposed to be something positive, I suppose that I'm looking forward to enjoying our last few months out here. Also, because Mr. V will be deploying, that means he'll get some pre-deployment leave, and we plan to drive to Alaska during that time. Its potentially a pretty crazy trip, but I'm looking forward to it!

2. What is something random you do on a boring night when your significant other is away? from Lovin Ma Soldier

I don't know that its random, but I read. Mr. V always has the TV on, which makes it hard for me to concentrate on a book, and I don't like locking myself in another room and ignoring him when he's home. So when he's gone, I love curling up on the couch with a good book.

3. What has been your greatest adventure as a MilSpouse?

Moving across the country. I had always wanted to go on a cross country road trip, but I never had the time or the money for it. So a three week forced "vacation" was one of the greatest adventures I've ever had. As much as I'm not looking forward to moving back to Texas, I'm looking forward to the drive there. We'll be taking a southern route to get there, to see states that we didn't see on our way out here to Washington. Moving might suck, but the places I get to see along the way make it more worthwhile.

4. What is the ugliest fashion trend you ever bought into (I’d like to make fun of you, so can you please provide a picture as well)? from More Than An Army Wife

I was an 80's child so I sported the over sized shirts tied in a knot on the side, neon colored spandex with a skirt on top, crimped hair, side pony tails, and huge thick socks pushed down with brightly colored keds sneakers. I have a lot of pictures from when I was a kid, but I wouldn't even know where to start as far as choosing one to display here. Thankfully, I wasn't a teenager in the 80's. I was just right on the cusp of the ridiculous fashion statements, so I like to think that they way I dressed was forgivable since I was really too young to know any better :-).

5. What was the high point of last month?

A relaxing Christmas. That may not sound super exciting for everyone else, but Mr. V has been so overworked and so stressed for months now (I'd say he's over reacting but when other wives from the other squadrons here ask what squadron my husband is in, they always say "Oh I'm so sorry" when I answer them. Apparently, it really is the most ridiculously overworked P3 squadron here.) So for Christmas he had 4 whole days off! He didn't get official Christmas leave, because he was forced to give it up so we could go on our Victoria trip in January (which is a whole different vent), so those 4 days were the most relaxing days ever. It had been almost a year since he even had 2 days off in a row, so when 4 free days came up, we did absolutely nothing. And it was wonderful. We spent Christmas together - just the two of us, and for the first time ever I can say that doing absolutely nothing was the best part of my month. It was just so nice to see him finally relaxed, which made ME relax. We did some other random stuff in December, but 4 days of nothing was definitely the best part!

Friday Fill-In #27:

1. What do you usually want to know about someone when meeting them for the first time?

I want to know where they are from. This lifestyle leads to meeting lots of new people from lots of different places, and that fascinates me. I love meeting people from different places and learning about those places.

2. Would you rather know everything about your spouse, or be regularly surprised?


Well I hate surprises so I'd have to say everything. I suppose its nice to occasionally learn about small little things, but for most things I'd rather know everything. I don't like being clueless, and even if its something completely un-harmful, it still annoys me when I learn something about Mr. V that I didn't know before. I think its my personality though. I hate not being in the know about everything.

3. If you could live in one city for the rest of your life, where would you live?

Victoria, British Columbia. We just got back from our trip there and I absolutely loved it there. If I couldn't live in Victoria, then Vancouver. I love Canada. I love the people that I meet there. I love the atmosphere of both Victoria and Vancouver and I could see myself being happy in either place.

4. When you go out of town, what one material thing do you ALWAYS take?

A computer. Mr. V and I would probably die (or at least feel like we were dying) if we couldn't be connected to the world via internet.

5. Using no more than 10 nouns, and ONLY nouns, describe yourself.

Pack-rat
Friend
Wife
New Jersey
Traveler
Nerd
Cat Lady
Procrastinator
Daughter
Quilter


Friday Fill-In #28:

1. If you were a famous movie star, what types of movies would you star in?

Historical Fiction

2. What is a vacation you would like to take if money were no object?

I'd take a trip around the world, seeing as many countries as I possibly can.

3. Did you have pets growing up?

I've had at least one rabbit ever since I was 4 years old. I think at the most we had 7 rabbits at once. I also had fish, an occasional hermit crab and I had 2 frogs at one point.

4. What do you do for exercise?

ummm...nothing. And I need to do something. I have a gym membership that is basically going to waste at the moment. The good news is that after spending a week in Victoria, I feel like I'm getting back into shape. I had gained about 5 pounds, which isn't a lot I know, but I'm a tiny girl to begin with so I noticed the 5 pounds. It took walking everywhere for 6 straight days to unintentionally lose the extra 5 pounds so now I'm trying to convince myself that its fun to stay in shape. I'm not doing so well on the convincing, but I'm trying!

5. What is the best piece of advice you’ve ever received as a MilSpouse?

Go with the flow. Something that I find VERY hard to do, but something that is definitely necessary for me to learn (since I haven't learned how to do this yet). Going with the flow means never being able to make definite plans and never knowing what life is going to throw at me next. Maybe one day I'll be able to take that advice and not want to cry every time something changes or goes wrong or differently than I had planned.

3 comments:

To the Nth said...

Is Mr. V going back to Corpus to be an instructor? I hope the experience won't be as bad as you remember your first sojourn being. I feel your pain, though; South Texas isn't real high on our list of places we'd like to live again.

Brooklet said...

Yep - he'll be instructing Primary. I'm not at all happy about this, but the timing really sucks as far as orders go. He had a choice between Enid, Oklahoma and Corpus for the same job. (I'll have to write a blog post about that because I picked Corpus over Enid and I really hope I won't regret that decision, though I suspect I might), or some job that would have been a career killer (I can't even remember what it was because he tossed it out as soon as he heard the words "career killer". So yep...Corpus it is. I'm trying to stay positive, but so far that's not going too well.

To the Nth said...

If it helps at all, everything I've heard about Enid makes Corpus seem like the better deal.