I wanted to write this as an update since I got a few emails today asking about my surgery. I'm going to apologize right now if this isn't completely coherent (thank you Firefox for underlining words that I spell wrong). I've got a lot of pain medicine in my system and while I feel like I'm coherent right now, I'll probably reread this tomorrow and realize that I wasn't.
So I am alive and well after surgery. This morning wasn't fun at all. My surgery was scheduled for 10:00am, which means thats when I checked in, not when I had the surgery. So I had had no food since midnight last night and was starving by this point. I don't think I was actually put under until about 11:45.
I made it through the morning without any major anxiety attacks which I'm happy for. The worst part of the morning was the part that I would think wouldn't be bad. When they got me into the operating room, the anesthesiologist put an oxygen mask on my face before giving me anesthesia. Obviously oxygen is needed to breathe, but I felt like I was suffocating when he put the mask on my face. It was really strange because I would think it would have been easier for me to breathe at that point. I guess it didn't matter much though because the last thing I remember about the morning was feeling like I was suffocating, and the nurse telling me that the medicine in my IV was going to make my arm ache. I felt an achy arm and the next thing I knew, I was awake and the surgery was over.
I'm currently pretty uncomfortable and in a lot of pain. More work was done on my nose this time so the pain feels different than the last time. I have a cast on my nose this time around, and I was too out of it to even think to ask about how I'm supposed to take a shower with a cast on my nose. That will be a phone call first thing in the morning.My face is badly bruised to the point where I look like Mr. V punched me in the face a few times. The bruised areas also keep swelling so that hasn't exactly been fun. And for added fun, I have a huge gauze mustache (yes they actually call it that) to catch all the spare blood that is draining from my nose. I hate medical stuff, so that is probably the most disturbing thing to me right now.
The good thing is that the day is almost over, which means that each day should only get better. I keep telling myself that each time I start to really feel the pain again. I have to sleep sitting up for the next 72 hours so this will be an adventure. I remember that from my previous surgeries and its really hard to do. I am making myself sleep on the couch because I know that I will probably roll around and lay down in my bed in the middle of the night, out of habit.
So thats that. I'll update more when I am not drugged up. I just reread this and it makes sense to me, but we'll see how it sounds when I'm off the meds. Thanks to everyone who sent me concerned emails and messages today. I'm alive :-) and I really appreciate everyone's concern!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Very coherent post! :) I'm glad to hear the surgery went well, but I'm sorry you're in so much pain! Keep me posted and don't hesitate to ask if you need something!
I ditto what Mugs said! Hope you're feeling better soon!
Post a Comment