I've always heard that everything that can possibly go wrong during a deployment will go wrong, but I didn't realize just how true that was until 2 nights ago. I posted a while back about Murphy's law and all the random things going wrong for me, but I just wanted to recap, because I'm ready to quit. Deployment is only half over, so if all of this can go wrong in just 3 months, what can possible happen during the next 3 months?
So far:
~my dishwasher has completely died on me
~my dryer is making a strange screeching sound so I'm assuming thats about to die on me too.
~A shelf fell down in Mr. V's closet about 2 weeks after he left. (In that case, I simply looked at the fallen shelf and calmly closed the closet door for him to deal with when he comes back home.)
~Larry, the kitten I'm babysitting for the length of the deployment developed a hernia almost as soon as his owner deployed. Its not a huge problem right now, but he does need surgery eventually. And I'm supposed to be keeping him inactive until he gets the surgery. If someone knows how to keep a 10 month old kitten inactive, without locking him in a tiny carrier, I'd love to hear how.
~My car battery completely died, but I thought "oh well I'll just drive Mr. V's car until I get a new battery."
~Then Mr V's car started making this weird clanking sound underneath it. His alignment is also off, which I can tell just from driving it, and which he knew about before he left, but he didn't tell me (he may not have known) just how bad it was. So when I took the car in to find out why it was making a clanking sound, the guy simply glanced under the car and told me within 5 seconds that I need new tires because they are worn to a dangerous point - all due to the bad alignment. The mechanic told me flat out that I wasn't driving anywhere in that car until it had new tires on it. So great. Apparently, I was driving around a pretty unsafe car for quite some time.
~When I picked the car up, it feels great because of the new tires, but its still making a clanking sound. However, in the parking lot of the auto place, I can't hear the clanking, and neither could the mechanics, which I guess is why nothing is fixed. Of course the loudest sound I've ever heard the car make just miraculously disappears when I bring it to the mechanic and then reappears 5 minutes down the road after picking up the car.
~Our lawnmower doesn't work, nor do I know how to go shopping for a lawnmower. I feel stupid for not knowing anything about lawnmowers, but the fact is, I really don't have a clue, so I wouldn't even know where to start. Luckily I have a friendly 12 year old next door neighbor who wants $10 from me to cut my lawn. I have happily let him take over the care of my lawn.
~2 lights burned out in our living room. Not a huge deal right? I can change a lightbulb. But for some reason, our house came with standard lightbulbs in every room except the living room. The lights in there are a weird size and when we first moved here, it took Mr. V several days and a few stores to finally find the right sized light to fit in there. Of course, the normal sized bulbs couldn't die, it had to be the ones that are hard to find.
~Our hose broke. Honestly? I didn't even know that hoses could break. But somehow, some spots of the hose got a weird bubble in them, which led to a pinprick-like hole which caused the water to come out of all the tiny holes, instead of the actual nozzle. I need the hose because I have a house full of cats, and I have to scrub and bleach the litter boxes weekly, and use the hose outside to do that. OK fine. I'm capable of buying a new hose, but it just adds to the annoyance of random things breaking.
~My sink was clogged a few nights ago. We have a garbage disposal, and sometimes when I wash dishes (by hand of course since our dishwasher is broken), the water starts to build up because there are pieces of food in the sink. Usually as soon as I turn on the garbage disposal, the water drains right away. But that didn't happen this time. I ended up with both sides of my sink completely clogged with standing water and nasty food particles. I thought I was going to throw up several times. 5 hours, yes 5 hours, after noticing that it was clogged, I finally got it to drain after several attempts at making the garbage disposal work and a trip to the store to buy a plunger and some draino. The plunger did absolutely nothing to help. The draino was specifically for standing water and the directions said to give it 15 minutes to work, but 30 for bad clogs. It took over an hour for each side to finally drain once I poured the draino in (and I did each side at different times).
After the clogged sink, I just lost it. My energy and motivation just completely disappeared. I know that in the grand scheme of things, it was just a clogged sink, but for me it was the last straw in a line of things going wrong. I swear that I have never had this much go wrong on me in so little time.
But here's the best part. Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse (which I really need to stop thinking) it did. I discovered 2 nights ago that we have termites. Great. So now I have to get an exterminator, although, maybe if I let the termites eat the house, then we won't have a house anymore, and therefore nothing else can go wrong with the house :-). I think that sounds like a good plan.
Friday, August 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Leaving the house to the termites = great idea!
I wish I was there to give you a hug and in some way could make it all better. Unfortunately, I don't have a magic wand, I really gotta get me one of those ;)
It sounds like you've shown resiliency in the face of adversity. You've handled visits from the Parents and Parents-in-laws, the car requiring maintenance, the dishwasher, the hose, the kitten. You'll soon deal with the termites. It sounds like you deserve a nice shopping spree. You should reap the benefits of Mr. V's absence.
You've handled everything at least as well as anyone else. Perhaps Mr. V is the exception but most of us husbands would react in the same way as you. However, we have one very strong motivation for continuing.... Our Wives. Often times it is just plain easier to deal with the problem then to risk the backlash.
So I guess what I'm saying is when you're down and you're looking for the strength to continue. Just think:
"I have to keep going or the wife will never let me live this down."
-Mr. M
Post a Comment