Yesterday, the day before the start of summer I had to turn my heat on again. I tried to hold out. I was bundled up in winter clothes because I was refusing to turn my heat on just one day before the beginning of summer (you know summer - a time when using a heater shouldn't even be considered!) I finally caved when my thermostat said that it was only 60 degrees inside my house. Since I like the house kept around 70, this was a little cold for me. I am happy to report though, that I know for a fact that at least 3 of my friends up here also turned their heat on yesterday. That fact made it seem a little better to me. I have to admit that I had thoughts of "Come on Brooklet, suck it up and deal with it. Its not THAT cold." So knowing that I wasn't the only one who caved and used the heater made me feel a little less pessimistic. Clearly I wasn't the only one on the island shivering for most of the day.
So today welcomed summer. In typical Washington fashion the sun rose at 4:27am, which meant that light was already coming in my window around 4:00am. The sun set at 9:57pm and at 10:20pm, when Mr. V went outside to take a picture, there was still light. (its a little hard to see in the picture because of the clouds, but there is definitely still light showing through.)

One would think that on the longest day of the year, it might actually feel like summer. Nope. Not this year.
Instead, the local news had a very cheerful weatherman explain that on the first day of Spring back in March, there was a high of 57 degrees. Today, on the first day of Summer, there was a high of 56 degrees. He cheerfully pointed out that while its only one degree, the first day of summer is still COLDER than the first day of Spring, and neither temperature is a "normal" Spring OR Summer temperature. I'm not exactly sure why he was so cheerful.
So needless to say, last summer I experienced the hottest summer in Seattle's recorded history. I don't think this is the coldest summer (yet) but its still pretty darn chilly and not normal in my mind. Next summer should be the last summer I spend here before our next move, so I'm holding out hope that maybe, just maybe, I'll get to experience some normal weather up here!

1 comment:
Man that SUCKS!!! You say that its not that cold as you sit there and your teeth are chattering? I do that too, it's okay :) Maybe you'll hit 60 tomorrow! :o
Post a Comment