Sunday, January 18, 2009

Quilting - My New Addiction

Last Christmas I got a sewing machine as a present from my in-laws. It was something that I wanted, but I hadn't gotten around to taking it out of the box, mainly because I had no idea how to use it. When I moved to Oak Harbor, a friend of mine asked me if I wanted to take a quilting class with her, and since I had nothing going on, I thought "sure, why not?". Granted, quilting had never really crossed my mind but I like attempting to be crafty so I thought it would be fun :-). The quilting teacher told us to bring sewing machines to class if we had one, so I was laughed at and lectured for being the only person who showed up with the sewing machine still in its unopened box :-). I thought quilting would be hard, but in reality its actually very easy. Its tedious work, that requires a lot of time and concentration, but once you get the hang of it, it is easy to do.

Last night I started putting my quilt together. Up until this point I had only made 12 different squares. Once the squares are binded together, I'll add the batting and backing and my quilt will be done! This was a beginner's quilt obviously, so we had picked a color scheme and then we were taught how to make different basic quilting squares. Each square is different, which isn't typical of a quilt, but I like the way this one will look. I love that it will always be the first quilt that I made and for some reason, I think its going to be kind of neat putting 12 different squares together. I thought I'd show you the squares that I've made and when I am done binding the quilt I'll post the finished project!


(Cat's Cradle)


(Loop the Loop - this one is my favorite)


(Hourglass)


(an applique fan)


(Spinner)


(Double Bow Tie)


(Friendship Star)


(Swamp Angel)


(I think this one was called a Bridge)


(Almamizer)


(Tea For Four)


(Weathervane)


(of course, this wouldn't be my house if I didn't receive some help from the cats...)

4 comments:

TronWife said...

Your blocks look great!!! Is class still going on? LOL I still need to get mine from class completed too.

NavyGirl said...

My favorite is the "swamp angel"... mostly for the name!

Brooklet said...

As far as I know, class is over, but I have no idea when it ended. Allison and I have been going in on random days to work on finishing our quilts. I know she's starting a new Quilting 101 class this week (I think), but we aren't done with our quilts yet, so she told us to just keep coming back until we are. I would assume you can do the same thing :-).

Anonymous said...

your quilt looks awesome!! I love the cat pictures. That is so like a cat to lay on what you are working on!
~Anna