Friday, August 27, 2010

MilSpouse Friday Fill-In #10

Here's the 10th installment of the MilSpouse Friday Fill-In from Wife of a Sailor:

1. What secret indulgence do you act on while your spouse is away? (from Devil Dog Darling)

I watch a lot of TV that he doesn't like. I can lounge around eating Ben and Jerry's Cookie Dough ice cream while watching Gilmore Girls marathons without hearing someone whining about how stupid the show is. I can also let laundry sit around for more than a week, since unlike Mr. V, I don't run out of clothes every 7 days. I can also eat breakfast for dinner, something that Mr. V finds disgusting and repulsive (apparently in his mind, certain foods should only be eaten at certain times and if you break that "rule" its disgusting.)

2. If you were a spice, what would you be? (from New Girl On Post)

Cinnamon. I love the taste of it but I also love the fall and the Christmas season and cinnamon seems to be a key ingredient in a lot of scents of that time. I love holiday scented candles, spiced apple cider, spiced wine, etc...and you can't get all of that without a little bit of cinnamon mixed in. So if I had to be a spice, I'd make sure I was a spice that would guarantee me some holiday scents every year :-).

3. Where do you go for support when your significant other is deployed? (from Texas Meets Washington)

I don't know that I really go anywhere specifically for support, but being around my friends, keeping myself busy, traveling, and having friends travel to see me are things that I'd probably lose my mind without during a deployment.

4. What is the oldest thing you own? (from A Troop’s Girl)

The oldest thing that has always belonged to me? Or the oldest thing in general?

If its the oldest thing in general, then I don't know offhand. We have a lot of antiques in this house and I'm not sure which one is the oldest.

As for the oldest thing that has always belonged to me its a blanket that was passed down to me from my mom. Its a pink and white blanket that I called my "doggy blanket" since there is an embroidered pink dog on it. When I was little, if it was extra cold at night, my parents would tuck me into bed and I'd ask them to add my doggy blanket to the pile of blankets already on my bed. I have very vivid memories of me saying "Can you give me my doggy blanket tonight?". I was never attached to it as a security blanket, but its something that I loved and its something that I have carried around with me every time I've moved.

5. How did you vision your future pre-military? (from Daddy’s Duty)

Well for starters, I never envisioned myself marrying someone in the military. I always thought that I would settle down permanently either back home in New Jersey or in North Carolina. I never thought that I would be moving around so often and I sure as hell never thought I'd be living anywhere on the west coast. I thought that I'd be able to put my college degree to use and have a career. I wasn't planning on living somewhere where my dream career wasn't even possible (I have always wanted to be a historian at a National Park Civil War battlefield). I never planned on being a housewife, and to be honest, its taken me a long time to accept that that's ok for me now. I guess I just always planned on being independent, as far as being able to provide for myself and I always planned on having a lot of stability in my life and living somewhere permanently.

4 comments:

Veronika said...

Your doggie blanket sounds so special! How neat that it use to belong to your mom :)
I still have some of my baby blankets... maybe I can give one to my daughter one day, if I ever have one. My husband passed a couple down to our boys but they aren't attached to them like that.

Happy Friday!
~Veronika

Sespi said...

My husband thinks breakfast for dinner is disgusting too! It's so weird to me, because he has no problem eating pizza or whatever for breakfast.

Anonymous said...

Gilmore Girls and Brinner both ROCK!lol.

Unknown said...

oh, to let the laundry sit...I can do that while he's gone too! It's so nice:)