Monday, August 9, 2010

MilSpouse Friday Fill-In #7 (On a Monday)

This past week I was on the go non-stop, so once again, I'm doing the Friday Fill-In late. I suppose I could have skipped it this week, but I'm starting to enjoy doing these. The questions make me think, so I decided it was better late than never.

So here is the 7th installment of the Friady Fill-In from Wife of a Sailor:

1. What is something you wished you’d learned to do earlier in life?

I wish I knew how to mow the lawn. That probably sounds ridiculous to some people, but it didn't occur to me, until Mr. V was deployed last year, that I have no clue how to mow a lawn. I don't know how to start a lawn mower. I didn't know they were as heavy as they were. I was just clueless. My dad was obsessed with our lawn growing up, so he was the only one who mowed it. He never taught me, and at the time, I never thought to ask him to teach me. I had no need to know how to do it. Then I moved into a rented house, where our landlord lived next door to us, and he mowed the lawn. Then I spent about 3 years in apartment complexes where I obviously didn't have anything to do with the grounds keeping. I had asked Mr. V to teach me how to mow the lawn before he deployed, but we had so much other stuff going on, that it just never happened. Once he was gone, and our grass was at least 2 feet high (not exaggerating at all, but thankfully our across the street neighbor had a yard that looked 10 times worse), I finally asked my friend to teach me. The first thing we found out was that our lawnmower didn't work, and Mr. V knew this, but had forgotten to mention it to me. So we hauled my friends lawnmower over and she taught me how to use the thing. I was sweating within minutes and our lawn looked like someone has just chopped it up when I was done. So thank God for my next door neighbor, a 12 year old kid, who is always looking to make some extra money. He now mows the lawn for me :-).

2. What is your biggest pet peeve with the military?

The fact that I can't rely on anything. I am so sick and tired of not knowing whats going on. I'm sick of hearing that Mr. V will DEFINITELY be staying here for at least 3 months, only to hear 2 days later that he's going on a 6 week det tomorrow. I'm sick of the "You're going to Hawaii... nope now you're going to Japan...oh hey we're going to put you on a ship for a few weeks...etc." I know this will never change, but I just wish there was a little more organization. I understand that we can't know exact dates of things all the time, but at least knowing within a few days, or weeks, would be better than the way it is now. To further illustrate my point, if you go back to some of my recent posts, Mr. V isn't supposed to be here right now. He was supposed to be gone for 3 weeks to 2 months (I think - I don't even remember what the original time line was because it kept changing). So he was gone for 2 weeks, now he's home for one, and then he's going to leave again for 6 weeks. I'm so irritated and frustrated, and trying very hard to not let it get to me. This life definitely isn't good for someone who likes to plan things out!

3. What tourist attraction near you have you never seen?

I'm happy to say that I've seen a lot of tourist attractions around here. Last summer my college suitemate, and her roommate came out to visit for 2 weeks, so we played tourists for 2 weeks and had a blast. (See my "Wonderful Washington" blogs from last summer). But with that being said, I haven't gone whale watching yet, which is apparently a must do around here, and I haven't been to Vancouver Island, British Columbia to see the city of Victoria, which is something that I really want to do before we leave here.

4. What are you avoiding doing right now?

I'm avoiding getting ready for the day and being productive. Right now I am perfectly content to be sitting at my computer, in my pajamas at 10:30 in the morning on a Monday. I have so much stuff to do around the house, but no motivation to do any of it today.

5. Wine, beer or liquor?

It really depends on where I'm at or what I'm doing. I like wine with a nice dinner. I like beer and liquor at bars or parties.


No comments: