A few years ago a local pet store in Corpus Christi asked us to enter their annual pet costume contest. We shopped there all the time and it sounded cute and fun, so we entered, and won 2nd place. We took home a bag of rabbit supplies (I had dressed our 4 rabbits up as the characters from the Wizard of Oz) worth at least $100. Once we realized we could win money we set out for 2 more contests in town - winning 1st place and a $50 gift certificate at one of them, and 3rd place a box of pet supplies worth about $50 from another one. In total we won about $200 worth of animal supplies and in a large animal household, any money or free stuff is always welcome and appreciated!
So for the past few years we have been taking the cats (and rabbits, though 3 of them have died, leaving me with only one character from the Wizard of Oz left). Each year we've won something. We've never won as much as that first year, but I've found that most people dress up their dogs and are shocked to see cats and rabbits in costumes. I think thats what helps us win - we're different from the rest.
This past weekend we took the cats to the Petsmart Halloween contest and walked out of there with 3 cute pictures, and 3rd place with a huge bag of Greenies treats. Greenies are pretty expensive and this bag is huge, so once again, we were happy with our prize :-).
We couldn't take all of the cats because some of them won't tolerate a costume for even 2 seconds, but we packed up the ones who were semi-well behaved and this is what we got. They all look so thrilled....



3 comments:
LOVE it! I wish I could dress Tiger up, but I think he'd kill me in my sleep if I did!
So cute! We've started the "what breed do we want/will work in a condo w/o a yard" discussion in our house. I have a feeling gatos might not work since my loving roommate sneezes lungs out because of their hair. :(
Well, a dog rescue is better than no rescue.
Then we can dress them up!
Oh I'm pretty sure that they are plotting their revenge right now. They were less than thrilled to participate in Halloween :-).
Mrs. Wookie - my husband was horribly, horribly allergic to cats when we first met. I only had one cat at the time - the one dressed as a witch - and he reacted to her within seconds of being around her. Now a few years later, he's holding her in that picture, and he's just fine now. He completely adapted. I'm allergic to them too though, but monthly baths help keep the allergens away. (Plus there are a few breeds that are less likely to bother allergies) So don't give up on a cat completely! However, a dog rescue would probably tolerate being dressed up much better than a cat would :-).
Post a Comment