I went to lunch with some friends today and we started coming up with some excuses for me to get out of this babysitting job.
Just as an update, my surgery is tomorrow. Crazy woman found someone to cover for me for the 3 weeks I will be recovering. However, this new person has no intention of helping her out beyond those 3 weeks. Crazy woman still thinks that I plan to come back in exactly 3 weeks. I've never actually told her that, so she is just assuming. All I have told her is that I will talk to her after my surgery and let her know how I feel.
Now here's the problem. This is a woman that I will most likely see around town. I absolutely do not want to keep babysitting for her. Mr. V and I had a long discussion about this, and even he agrees that I need to get out of this situation NOW. In his mind, I'm doing this lady a favor, but its a permanent favor. (I'd also like to note, once again, that I'm not greedy. I have no problem helping people out. I have no problem taking jobs that don't pay a lot. I have a problem with the reality that this woman lives in, and her attitude towards Ms. A about asking for more money, and her attitude in general.)
I need an excuse that will make sense, but not make me look like a horrible person. I don't want to have to lie, but clearly, telling her that I can't work for just $3 an hour isn't something that I can say without her freaking out again. I'm hoping to come up with an excuse that is as truthful as possible, but at the same time I have no problem lying if it will get me out of this situation.
So here is what we've come up with:
1. I'm having surgery (obviously this one will only last for about 3 weeks)
2. My surgery didn't go as planned. My recovery is taking longer than I thought and the doctor said he can't give me a time frame right now as to when I'll be 100% better.
3. My husband is deploying soon and I might go home to New Jersey or North Carolina for a few months (This is half true. Mr. V really is deploying soon and I do plan on going to New Jersey and North Carolina, but only for a vacation, not for the entire length of the deployment.) When she sees me around town and wonders why I'm still here, I would say "Well I didn't say I WAS going home for his deployment. I just said that I MIGHT go home and plans are still up in the air."
4. I started a new quilt and its taking up too much of my time.
5. I have mono. Who knows when it will go away?
6. My arms are getting amputated. Therefore I clearly can't pick up your child, change her diaper, or feed her.
Clearly, by this point, we were running out of excuses. I'm curious to see if anyone else has a good excuse, or just some good advice. I really don't want to come off as mean, because I will definitely see this woman around. I'm not a very good confrontational person, so this whole situation makes me feel really awkward and anxious. So....any ideas/advice?
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
"You're looking at more permanent job options in your field." No more details, no more explanation, and I'd call her before the three weeks are up and just do it as a phone conversation. Whatever explanation you go with, do it over the phone and keep it super super short. The more details you give, the more you'll get yourself in trouble...
That was actually my first idea. It made sense and its not completely untrue. However, I don't think its going to work. I tried to get out of the job last Thursday by calling her and saying "I"m sick. I can't babysit." Should have been the end of the discussion right? Wrong! Her response: "Well thats ok, you don't have to do anything except make sure my daughter is safe...blah blah blah..." I know if I tell her I'm looking into more job options she'll respond with "Well thats great, but until you find a job you can still babysit for me". She's very good at not letting a conversation end and talking her way into getting what she wants :-(.
Hey,
Its great that you have friends to discuss this issue with. I would however advise you not to lie. If you don't want to do it, contact her first and let her know that you will not do it anymore. If she asks why, you can simply say you don't want to and leave it at that. If she keeps pestering, be a broken record in saying you don't want to. If you do want to do it but require more money, you can state your case and she can take it or leave it. You never have to explain yourself to someone who doesn't have to be given an explanation.
It sounds like this lady is well know in the community as a bit eccentric (euphemisim for crazy). Many people think of her weird, whereas she would be the only one who thinks you are unreasonable. It doesn't sound like her opinion is something to really worry about anyways.
Good Luck
I vote for the truth also-though I don't think that or anything else will really get through to this woman from what you've said. Some people just don't seem to get the hint if you try to be nice, so unfortunately, it may come down to being less than nice and make for a difficult relationship otherwise:( It sucks. In the grand scheme of things though, you're probably better off in the long run the less you have to deal with her. Good luck!
Post a Comment